Soulpepper is pleased to partner with the DEAF CULTURE CENTRE on this extraordinary, signed music musical to elevate the Deaf community’s “place” in the Canadian arts landscape.
A young woman’s life is turned upside down when her tattoos come alive and propel her on a fantastical journey in search of her own inner voice.
Faces, hands, and movements are our poetry. In The Black Drum, by Deaf Canadian playwright Adam Pottle, Deaf actors tell their story through physical theatre, signed music, projection, and dance while motion capture enhances their graceful rhythms. Audiences are invited to experience this pioneering new work unlike any other.
Note: This production is presented with an English synopsis
Watch & Listen
- ADAM POTTLE, Playwright
- MIRA ZUCKERMANN, Director
- JOANNE CRIPPS, Producer/ Executive Director, Deaf Culture Centre
- ANITA SMALL, Director, Cross Cultural Development & Research
- JACK VOLPE, Assistant Director
- KEN MACKENZIE, Set Designer
- CHRIS MALKOWSKI, Lighting Designer
- RUTH ALBERTYN, Costume Designer
- MARYAM HAFIZIRAD, Assistant Set & Costume Designer
- PATRICIA ALLISON, Dance Choreographer
- JEFFREY BAKER, Ballet Instructor, Baker Light Integrated Star System
- SALLY ROBERTS, Production Manager
- SANDI BECKER, Stage Manager
- RON HALL, ASL Master
- CATHERINE JOELL MACKINNON, Communications and Audience Engagement Manager